Sunday, June 28, 2009

Day 45: Tarte Flambée, Oat Bread and More Croissants!

Day 45 was a good day! Tarte Flambée, also known as Flammenkuchen is wonderful! When I went to Germany for work back in 2005 (I think - it's been a while) I tried this for the first time and I was hooked! I never thought I would ever have it again, let alone make it myself! Oh happy day!!! So the Flammenkuchen has a sort of custard base comprised of sour cream, creme fraishe, and egg, then toppings of your choice, we used carmelized onions, bacon and gruyere cheese. Oh, and did I mention that the dough we used was the delicious Baguette dough?! Yes, it sort of looks like a pizza but I think this tastes better. Mind you, I am a total pizza fan, but in the battle of Flammenkuchen vs. Pizza, Flammenkuchen wins in my book. And yes, I ate about 1/3 of this all by myself when I got home from class!!!














I haven't tried the Oat Bread yet - I put it in the freezer for now since I've got way too much bread to finish up already! When I get around to trying it, I will update my blog.














Croissants gallery! Yes, we made croissants already, but I guess we are sort of reviewing them since our Chef-Instructor told us that croissants will be on our test. We also learned different shapes for different fillings. The packet looking ones have ham and cheese in them! I didn't actually get to try this one because I gave it to my wonderful husband Mike who said that they were really good (yey!). He's not too into the sweet stuff that I bring home so I was happy that we had some meaty/savory stuff this class. The long one with the almonds has - you guessed it Almond Cream in it! And yes, that was scrumptious! Ahh... almond cream. Maybe one day I'll write an ode to Almond Cream and the joy it brings me!!! =)














Oh, we also made 5-grain rolls which looked really good, but since they just came out of the oven, I didn't want to bring them home while they were so hot, especially since I had a bunch of other things to bring. Our teacher offered to put them in the freezer for us for next class. I'll take pictures on Tuesday.

No comments: