Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Day 43: Back to Breads!

So tonight we went back to breads! We made Petit Pains and Pain de Provence. Our quickbread for the night was Irish Soda Bread.

So, let me tell you about the Petit Pains - OMG, they are SO good! They kind of remind me of the bread I had when I was in Europe. I already ate 2 of them since I got home tonight!!! They are sort of like mini baguettes... sort of...















I haven't tried the Pain de Provence, but it certainly smelled very good! It had olives and a special assortment of herbs supposedly native to Provence. I'm sure that it will be delish!















And finally, the Irish Soda Bread. Sorry, but I wasn't really into this one. The texture was nice and tender as a quick bread should be, but I just wasn't feeling the taste and I can't quite put my finger on what exactly was bothering me about it... *sigh* I really wanted to like it! I remember my second grade teacher (Ms. Bernadette Boland - yes, can you believe that I remember?!) made some for us on St. Patrick's day and I remember loving it!!! I haven't been able to find a version like that ever since... Oh well...














Anyway, I'm pretty excited about next class because we will be making bagels - regular and whole grain! Yes, FCI is now becoming more health conscience! We even had our first "nutrition" class today. This is a good thing.

No comments: