Friday, June 26, 2009

Day 44: Baguettes, Bagels and Austrian Danishes

This class was bittersweet for me! Everything we made was delicious - all my favorite carbs! The bitter part was that I was one of the 2 bakers for the week, so unfortunately, I left late and just missed the 9:35 PM train so I ended up getting home after 11:00 PM! The good news is that I got to enjoy 1/2 of a WARM and mouth-watering baguette on the train ride home! =) So here are pictures of the whole baguettes and also a pic with the one that I picked at on the ride home...
















I have to admit that I haven't tried the bagels yet, however I'm sure that they are scrumptious. They are authentic hand-rolled bagels, boiled and baked in the traditional way! I have those in the freezer for a day when I'm desperately looking for something to eat. We received recipes for a whole grain and the regular version. My team was chosen to make the regular and my classmate Jen's team made the whole grain version so we swapped so we could try each. Can you guess which ones are mine - yes, the boring sesame ones are. What can I say, I like sesame bagels!














Now, for the danishes. Oh my! These were the Austrian version (according to the recipe) and there are no words to describe these! I am a total danish fan and so, I was in danish heaven! I especially liked the swirly looking ones. We put almond cream, cinnamon sugar and chopped walnuts in the dough before swirling them, so those have an extra yummy surprise in them! Those were definitely my favorites... Unfortunately, since I was kind of rushing through finishing up all the different danish shapes, I didn't remember what I put in which danishes! The different fillings we used were pastry cream, almond cream (my personal favorite), cream cheese filling, cherry compote, blueberry compote, apricots, cinnamon sugar and chopped walnuts. We were allowed to make up our own combos which was nice and if you've been reading my blog, you can guess that I had a lot with almond cream and chopped walnuts! =) Sorry the pictures are not so great, but I was rushing (trying to get to the train that I missed anyway)!
















I'm excited for tomorrow when we make flammenkuchen!!!! Ah... takes me back to Germany! =)

No comments: