Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Day 27: Stollen, Croissant, Croissant Au Chocolat, Savoy Scones

Stollen has literally stolen my heart!!! *queue in fake laughter* This bread is unbelievable! Of course, I'll admit that there must be like a zillion calories in each slice from this loaf, but when eaten in moderation, it is SO worth it! It's got some dried fruits and lots of nuts (again with the nuts!!) and then it is coated with melted butter and a quick roll in powdered sugar. I forgot to take a picture of it, so SORRY! But it is definitely worth writing about. I don't remember the story for this one, but I think I remember our teacher saying something to the effect that it is shaped the way it is because it is supposed to symbolize a swaddled baby (since I think this is a Christmas bread). Anyway, I have it in my freezer at the moment and every so often, I'll take a slice for dessert! =)

Croissant and Chocolate Croissants are pretty self explanatory, but I must say that these are probably the best croissants I have ever had! And I'm not just tooting my own horn (or rather the school's since it's their recipe), but honestly, these were delish!





























And finally, we come to the Savoy Scones. These are the traditional scones made with dried currants. Nowadays, you can find scones in all different varieties, but my teacher told us that a dried fruit is usually used. With that thought, I went ahead and made my own version which I make on Sundays and sell at the shop: Mango Scones! =) I love them! They are like biscuits with bits-o-mango in them. I think it's an interesting combo!

No comments: