Saturday, June 6, 2009

Day 36: Charlotte Royale

So today we finished up our Charlotte Royale. I've seen pictures of this before and always thought they looked pretty cool, up until class. Well, I still thought it looked cool in the picture, but then our instructor told us that they call it "brain" cake and now, it just doesn't look too appetizing to me anymore... =( I know, I probably shouldn't have posted that because now you will think that it doesn't look appetizing despite it's fabulousness! So, on to the yummy description: the "swirls" are made of a cake called Jaconde which is basically an almond sponge cake rolled with an apricot jam filling. We then lined a bowl with slices from the roulade and then filled it with a Creme Anglaise Bavarois (a bavarian cream), then a piece of Genoise for the base. You're supposed to finish it off with some Creme Chantilly shells piped along the bottom and a small circle on the top.

(I'm keeping the picture small because it's kind of blurry. Sorry.)

No comments: