Thursday, April 2, 2009

A few more goodies!

I'm trying to catch up on the things we have made, but of course (just like in case), I'm falling behind! =)

Okay, so last Saturday, we made some Fresh Fruit Tartlettes. I didn't have enough time to garnish my 4 little tarts so I brought the fruits home. I let John decorate one of them and I did the other 3. Unfortunately, I didn't get to take a picture of John's tart before he started eating it, but it's quite easy to imagine - he put 2 slices of oranges and then proclaimed that he was finished and wanted to eat it. He actually took the oranges off when he ate them too!!! He's so silly... Anyway, here is a picture of the other 3 that I was able to garnish sans the apricot glaze. It was a pate sucree shell with yummy creme legere (yes, I may just be spelling these wrong again!!!) with the fresh fruits on top! I loved them! I'm thinking about making them this summer at the bakery but using mangoes as the fresh fruit. I'm not sure which other fresh fruit would match well with the mango, so if you have any suggestions, please send them my way!















These next 2 cookies are Chocolate Dream Cookies (and yes, they are quite dreamy) and Vanilla Kipferl Cookies (Viennese Vanilla Crescents). My teacher very accurately described the Chocolate Dream Cookies as a cross between a Chocolate Cookie and a Brownie. I thought they were divine! Lots-o-chocolate and a sprinkling of pecan nuts throughout made these cookies irresistible to me! And the Vanilla cookies - made with Hazelnut flour - need I say more?














Last Tuesday (3/31/09), we did a savory tart - Tarte A L'Oignon (Rustic Onion Tart). I loved, loved, loved this one, though my poor husband... He didn't hear me explain that it was a savory tart with caramelized onions, bleu cheese, walnuts and plum tomatoes and he was totally expecting to eat something sweet like all the other tarts we have been making up to this point... Well, needless to say, he took 1 bite and put it back in the fridge (at least he didn't throw it out!!) wondering what it was that he had just eaten. The good news of that is - I had the rest of that bitten piece for my dinner tonight! YUM!














We did get to bring home some cool stuff tonight, but I will make another posting probably this weekend. Mike took some pics for me but I can't get the files yet because he's a little pre-occupied at the moment (sleeping)...

Oh, before I go, I have a couple more things... First off, we had our ServSafe test today and I really hope that I passed. Second, I wanted to say that I felt like a celebrity at school today with paparazzi taking our picture - during our fire drill today. Yes, I know, it was totally unglamorous, but it must have been quite a site seeing a small sea of pastry and culinary students (in full uniform) on the corner of Broadway and Grand. Of course, there were people all over taking our picture... As we were going back into the school, a guy with a big camera (sorry Mike and photographer friends - I didn't see what kind of camera or lens he was using) came running up to us and taking our picture in quickfire mode! I turned away, thus I did not see what camera it was, but it did kind of sound like a canon... maybe... Anywho - I'm signing off for now. Some things to look forward to in my posts - of course, more goodies, but I want to give my teacher a plug because she is uber talented and she also happens to be a great teacher! Oh, and some chef wardrobe secrets! =)

No comments: