Friday, July 31, 2009

Day 58: Back to cakes! White Cake with Peach Butter cream filling and Marzipan Frosting and Black Forest cake

We are back to cakes and quickly approaching the end of Pastry 1! I can't believe it... In fact, we have the start of our Mid-term tomorrow and I'm a little nervous about it. We get to bake our cake and build it up tomorrow then finish it off on Tuesday. For the mid-term, we pick the kind of cake we have to make out of a hat, or rather in our case, a quart container! So, UNfortunately for me, I picked a Chocolate Genoise with Butter Cream filling (that's not the bad part) with CHOCOLATE GLAZE frosting. UGH! I'm terrible at glazing... *sigh* oh well, c'est la vie... Not like there's anything I can do about it now except pray to Saint Honore for a pastry miracle!

So, on to happier things before I get myself all worked up over this darn mid-term!

Let's start with the oh-so-yummy White Cake! I really liked this cake a lot, I just couldn't stop eating it!!! Luckily, I didn't get a tummy ache like my poor partner from all of our snacking on the scraps. We filled our cake with a Peach Butter Cream. Yes, you read that correctly - PEACH! We learned how to make fruit flavored butter cream and I'm uber excited about it! The bonus is that it tastes absolutely divine! The extra bonus is that we got to learn how to work with Marzipan as a frosting. Can I just say that I'm addicted to marzipan as well? I'm surprised I have not gained 5 pounds in class just making this cake - because you know where the scraps go, right? Yes, that would be my stomach... Anyway, I digress... I have always wondered how it was done and lo and behold, I now know! Not too shabby, right?













The next cake is our Black Forest cake. Traditionally, this is frosted with whip cream or stabilized whip cream, but the classroom was SO hot, all of our whip cream kept breaking! Luckily, we didn't throw out our Creme D'Or which was used as one of the fillings, so Chef said we could use that to finish up our cakes. Traditionally too, it should have chocolate shavings on the bottom, but as you can see from the pic, I didn't quite get around to it. Now, for your added viewing pleasure, I'm adding a picture I took of the Black Forest when I was in gorgeous Germany. =)















Now, back to work on my sketches for my mid-term cake! Wish me luck - I need it...

No comments: