Thursday, May 7, 2009

Day 22: Conversations, Poire En Cage, Galette de Saison

Alright, I have to say that I am enamoured with the Conversations! Lucious almond cream encased in puff pastry with a layer of royal icing on top, then decorated with more puff pastry, and baked until brown. The traditional design on top should be a simple "x" but we were allowed to get creative to a point (we didn't have any cool cutters so we had to make do with the round ones that we had). I was a little disappointed that some of them cracked and broke, but I certainly was not disappointed with the taste! Absolutely and utterly delicious!!!















The Poire En Cage (literal translation is Pear in a Cage - the glamourous flow of the French name is definitely lost in translation!) was pretty good too and I think they look fabulous. We poached our pears using caramelized sugar, water, white wine, fresh ginger and cinnamon. I think the pears turned out pretty good. Now, with a tiny bit of almond cream on the bottom, this dessert was as yummy as it was attractive.

Our Galette de Saison on the other hand.... Well, we made an apple compote with rhubarb. It was my first time trying rhubarb and apparently, the rhubarb we got was not completely ripe yet and we kind of put a lot and, well, the compote turned out to be kind of sour. At least too sour for my taste. No, I did not throw them out, they were actually finished up by our army of workers! They all seemed to like it, or if they didn't they certainly didn't tell me and they finished them quite quickly! Just not for me...

No comments: